Mince Feet Christmas fruit cakes
- 60 minutes
- For 6 people
- € 0.45 / person
- 213kcal per 100g.
- Desserts and sweets recipes
Ingredients for Mince Feet. Christmas fruit cakes
- 1 sheet of broken dough
- 50 g brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 15 g butter
- 1 golden apple
- 50 g of prunes without bone
- 50 g of currants without seeds
- 50 g of sultanas raisins
- 1 lemon and 1 orange
- 25 g raw peeled almond
- 2 cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground dried ginger
- 50 ml of black rum
- Sugar icing to serve
How to make Christmas fruit pies or Mince Pies. Before you think what this is about mince feet We clarify that nothing has to do with what keeps us on the ground. That in which our legs end or where we put our shoes.
“Foot"In English means"cake”In our language, a term that usually arouses a lot of curiosity when we meet him for the first time.
The mince feettherefore they are stuffed cakes of a bittersweet mixture made with dried, fresh fruits, spices and a touch of liquor. They are consumed in England throughout Christmas and are the most popular candy of the time.
There is no home where one does not go to visit and the hosts offer you a cup of tea (of course!) With a mince foot. One more option for all desserts and sweets what do we have in it Christmas Special in the blog Not only will they be fritters, marzipan Y nougat.
The origin of the mince pies is found in the Middle Ages, when these cakes were filled with meat. Hence the filling is called "mincemeat" or, what is the same, minced meat and spices.
Over time the filling evolved and the meat was left behind to give way to the fruits. However the name has remained intact, despite having no meat inside.
Find mincemeat in England it is very easy because it is sold in preserves in all supermarkets and food stores, but in Spain the thing is complicated.
Therefore, as we like these cakes very much, we have decided to make our own “mincemeat”, Something extremely simple, and give us a whim of the most“ british ”. Oh yeah!
Preparation of the dough and fillings to make Mince Feet
- Chop prunes into pieces of equal size as raisins and sultanas. We put all the fruits in a bowl and cover them with tap water to hydrate.
- In a saucepan we mix the brown sugar together with a couple of tablespoons of water and apple cider vinegar. We put it on low heat and let the sugar dissolve slowly.
- Meanwhile we peel the apple, remove the seeds and cut it into small dice, the same size as raisins.
- Add the butter to the bowl and as soon as it melts, add the apple pieces. We simmer over low heat for approximately five minutes. Better your cover the bowl to make it faster.
- While this is happening, we grate the lemon and orange. We drain the raisins and add it.
- Chop the almonds finely. We can avoid this step if we buy almond in granillo, whenever it is raw, but it is not a hard work so we will not notice hardly difference in the elaboration of the mince feet.
- In a mortar we crush the two cloves until a fine powder is obtained, we add the rest of the spices, that is, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- When the apple is poached, add the raisin mixture with the lemon and orange zest, chopped almonds and spices. Stir, add a couple of tablespoons of water and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Finally, let's water with the rum and after a minute, enough time for the alcohol to evaporate, remove the pot from the heat and let it cool before riding the fifteen feet.
Shape, baking and final presentation of the mince pies
- We preheat the oven to 190ºC, above and below.
- We stretch the broken dough with a rolling pin. It is not necessary to remove it from the paper in which it is rolled. Moreover, it will be very good for us to use it as a base since it will not stick to the surface.
- With a round pasta cutter with a diameter slightly larger than the cavities of the tart mold we use, we cut 12 circles of the broken dough. With the remaining dough we cut 12 stars.
- Place the circles in the cavities of the mold and fill them with a teaspoon of the filling (remember, it has to be cold). Cover with the stars and bake, at medium height, for 15-20 minutes or until the dough begins to brown.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a metal rack until completely cooled.
When we are going to serve them, sprinkle the surface with icing sugar and accompany them with tea with milk for an experience as "british" as possible. We will enjoy a delicious snack.
If you don't want to miss out on how to prepare this mince feet recipe, click on the photos step by step.
Tips for about two feet of scrubber
- If you have time, we recommend that you prepare your own broken dough. You know that everything done at home is much better.
- The water of the filling or mincemeat can be replaced by lemon or orange juice (or both).
- The rum can be substituted by cognac or some liquor that goes to the mixture of fruits and spices, Amaretto type or liquor of some dried fruit.
- The fifteen feet can be stored in a metal box for several days and endure in good condition, although when they are richer it is freshly made.